A very special Valentine dinner for you and him? Happy post-dinner fun guaranteed with this plate 😉
• 1 medium fennel bulb, thin sliced
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 (8 ounce) salmon fillets
• 1 cup orange and lemon juice
• 2 tbsp sliced large green olives
• 1/3 cup thin sliced white onion
• 2 tbsps bread crumbs
• 1 tbsp pine seeds crushed
• 1tbsp sesame seeds
• black pepper
• fennel herb
1. Place the salmon fillets in a bowl. Pour the orange/lemon juice, 1/2 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt over the fillets. Cover and marinate for half to one hour;
2. Skin to the pulp one orange and slice it in thick slivers. Marinate the orange with a pinch of salt and a tsp olive oil.
3. In a large pan over medium heat, cook fennel and onion in one tbsp olive oil until soft but still a little crunchy, about 15 minutes. During the last minutes of cooking add the slivered olives. Move fennel from the pan to a plate and set aside;
4. Mix bread crumbs, pine seeds crushed, and sesame seeds;
5. Remove the salmon fillets from the marinade and bread in the breadcrumb mix;
6. In the pan that you have used for cooking fennel, add the remaining 1/2 tbsp oil and two tbsp of the orange/lemon marinade. Let it simmer for few minutes, add salmon and cook for 12 minutes. At half time turn the fillets upside down for a thorough cooking.
7. Prepare plates placing at the bottom a line of fennel and orange slices, sprinkle with trimmed parsley and fennel and pepper, and lay the salmon on the “bed” of fennel.
Serve the dish with a dry white wine, or for a more fancy and intriguing combination go for a top beer like a Damnation by the Russian River Brewing Company.